There’s no doubt about it, the travel industry has taken a big hit due to the worldwide spread of coronavirus.
With millions of people stuck within the confines of their homes, there hasn’t really been an abundance of excitement and stimulation.
I mean how many episodes on Netflix do we have to watch before we can go back to work, take an exercise class, attend a concert or travel to Paris?
Luckily, we have the technology and resources at our fingertips to still have these kinds of meaningful experiences, only virtually.
Airbnb is the most popular marketplace offering arrangement for lodging, primarily homestays, or tourism experiences. They recently introduced Online Experiences: unique activities from hosts all over the world, conducted over Zoom – live interactive video sessions.
There are currently over 300 listed experiences mainly in the form of classes or sessions in all different topics such as: arts & crafts, cooking, music, athletics, health & wellness, animals, wine tasting & so much more.
Check out these examples of Online experiences on Airbnb.com
Host Your Own Online Experience
Think about it? You could be like Bob Ross! Sharing your passion for the world to see and making big bucks doing it 😉
Since you’re here, you most likely are waiting for the part where we tell you how you could monetize this whole thing. Well, here’s the gameplan:
- Design your experience.
- Think of a hobby/talent you have expertise in which would make an appealing experience for others to learn or enjoy. E.g. Do you play a musical instrument? Give interactive lessons for beginners on Airbnb or host your own concert.
- Browse the hundreds of online experiences listed on Airbnb. Get inspiration on ideas to provide your own, check out prices of competitors & more.
- Keep your experience at a length of 90 minutes or less.
- Share your idea.
- Describe your activity/experience in detail and provide quality images to help show the value of what you are offering.
- We recommend starting with a lower price so you could build up some reviews which will help you in the longterm!
- Submit your experience.
- Click here to begin your future experience page and sign up to host on Airbnb.
- It only takes a few minutes to sign up & will be reviewed for approval within 2-4 weeks.
- Set up and start hosting.
- Get familiar with the Zoom conference platform.
- Start planning your location, camera, lighting and audio set up.
- Get approved & give them an experience they’ll enjoy!
Why Be an Online Experience Host on Airbnb?
In the past, Airbnb has offered a platform for hosts to create experiences in person, for example paddle boarding & surf lessons, group hiking & more. In fact, they still offer this option. However, in light of the global pandemic, online experiences are leading the trend and this may continue even after this is all over.
More people are realizing that they don’t have to physically go into work like they used to & a lot of activities can be enjoyed from the safety and comfort of their home.
Still not convinced? Here’s a few reasons why it’s a good idea to begin hosting your experience on Airbnb:
- Become your own boss.
- Earn money sharing your passions and expertise as an experience for others to enjoy.
- Select the times and dates that you want to host.
- Build your online experience into a brand and profitable business with support from Airbnb.
- Host from home or wherever you want.
- Share a window to your world.
- No more traffic or long commutes.
- Stability in tough times such as these with stay at home policies.
- Meet Global guests & friends.
- Make connections with guests from all corners of the world.
- Learn about different cultures and share your own.
Another perk is that Airbnb offers tons of support to their hosts, with all the resources you need to successfully create and maintain your own online experience.